Pilates is a highly detailed and scientific system of exercise. You should strive to learn from a Pilates teacher who genuinely understands the program and who effectively communicates with students. This is crucial because you certainly need to learn the basics well. You would not be able to attain the benefits from Pilates if you would not be able to learn doing the methods correctly.
Needless to say, there is an importance in choosing a highly qualified and competent Pilates instructor. Most Pilates studios make sure their teachers are qualified and are effective. However, there would surely be cases wherein a qualified and well-seasoned instructor may not be effective in handling beginners. You might not like the teaching style of a teacher.
So how could you choose the best Pilates instructors around? It would be helpful if you would checkout the following checklist. Make sure you evaluate the instructor very well before, during, and after the class. You have found a good Pilates teacher if you answer ‘yes’ to all or most of the following.
1. Is the instructor a duly certified Pilates teacher? Before you enlist in a class, you have the right to check the credentials and the certifications of the instructor. If he/she has one, make sure the certification program is full and is credible. Take note that Pilates is an in-depth exercise system. Appropriate certifications should be required in instructors.
2. Does the teacher greet the class before the session? It would help if the instructor has a positive and pleasant personality. Every Pilates class should be treated like an actual customer-service transaction. S/He should be approachable enough so you would not hesitate to ask questions.
3. Are the instructions clear? It is important that the teacher give out clear and non-confusing directions and instructions. In any way, you should learn the proper way of doing things.
4. Is the instructor giving closer attention to students? Are you attaining individual attention? A good Pilates teacher cares about his students. He should make sure everyone is doing movements correctly. Thus, during the session, he should get attention of students who are doing the movements wrongly.
5. Is the instructor confident, professional, and knowledgeable? You surely would not want to be under a teacher who lacks self esteem and who is unsure about what he is doing. He should be able to explain points and answer every important and relevant question from anyone in the class.
6. Have you enjoyed the Pilates class? If you did, you would certainly notice that you feel good after the session. It is important that you enjoy the class.
7. Do you have rapport with the instructor? If you do, that teacher surely also has good links with the others. There should be no communication problem during the session.
8. Do you feel motivated overall by the instructor? You should. A teacher who fails to motivate his class should not be teaching Pilates at all. It is important that an instructor be able to convince the class to do well and keep on going.